Process engineer | Victory Brewing Company – Parkesburg, Pennsylvania
WHO WE ARE
Artisanal Brewing Ventures (ABV) is one of the top 10 regional craft liquor companies in the United States, comprised of 5 long-time successful craft brands. Currently, we are made up of four breweries (Victory Brewing, Bold Rock, Sixpoint, Southern Tier Brewing) and one distillery (Southern Tier Distilling). We have locations in 5 states (NY, PA, OH, VA, NC), including valve rooms, production facilities and our head office.
WHAT WE DO
Victory Brewing is a committed industry leader who over the past 25 years, became a world famous craft brewery and the second largest family of craft brands in our home state of Pennsylvania.
We find people looking to bring their experience, enthusiasm and desire to work with others into a fun and rewarding workplace as we continue to produce craft beer that changes the industry. We have growing, empowered and trusted teams in Downingtown, Kennett Square, Parkesburg and Philadelphia.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
This is a key role in the organization of Victory Brewing which will work closely with the production teams and the maintenance manager to drive results. You will support 2 commercial breweries in Downingtown and Parkesburg PA as well as occasional support for taprooms in Philadelphia PA and Brooklyn NY. The objective of this role is to develop and strengthen operational reliability and foster continuous improvement in breweries.
Reports to: Maintenance manager
- Manage and execute projects related to brewing, packaging, quality and utilities processes.
- Maintain all PLCs and software packages used in all brewery equipment, maintain backups of all programs and hardware configurations, and maintain the operation and update of all control equipment.
- Collaborate with vendors and IT to develop, implement and maintain a local area network for all brewery equipment and equipment network communication.
- Support maintenance and operations teams as needed when difficult issues are encountered.
- Develop, train and support preventive, predictive and corrective maintenance work orders.
- Work to continuously improve the reliability of equipment and systems in breweries through small projects, training and development, and other initiatives.
- Work closely with the operations and maintenance teams to prioritize work orders.
- Document all work, track parts and labor in the CMMS (eMaint).
- Identify, propose and implement solutions to equipment problems, improved productivity and obsolete equipment with a focus on failure mode and root cause of failures. Use these results to develop or modify preventive maintenance plans. Help develop detailed preventive and predictive maintenance procedures with clear step-by-step instructions for execution.
- Establish strong, positive working relationships between maintenance teams, including outside of work shifts, for technical assistance over the phone in the event of an outage and in person as needed.
- Develop and report reliability KPIs for breweries.
- Act as a reliability and automation historian for the development of automation and controls in breweries.
- Use knowledge of all systems used by breweries, including:
o Brewery: steam and hot water systems, centrifugal pumps, grain storage and transfer systems, spent grain system, crusher, heat exchangers and gearboxes, etc.
o Cellar systems: beer centrifuges and filters, beer mixers and carbonators, flash pasteurizers, etc.
o Glycol systems: pumps, compressors, evaporators, cooling towers, plumbing and controls, etc.
o Steam systems: boilers, heat exchangers, traps, etc.
o Packaging equipment: Canning, bottling and keg lines
o All other brewery and brewery support systems
- Prepare scope definition, capital cost estimates, operating cost savings, investment justifications (ROI), and cost value analyzes.
- Prepare the scope of work / contracts for engineering firms and external contractors. Manage and supervise the work, schedules, quality of work and performance of these groups.
- Help identify and implement future innovations in brewery automation, improve efficiency, reduce costs and the brewery’s environmental footprint.
- Applies various programming languages necessary for using the SCADA system, including programming of PLCs (programmable logic controllers) and software (prolite and berabrew) used as an interface.
- Prepare P&ID, plans, specifications, technical analyzes and other documents necessary to define the scope of a project or to solve a technical problem.
- Be practical in the design, construction, installation, commissioning and troubleshooting of all equipment and processes.
- Provide technical training and development to operators, brewers and maintenance technicians in support of new technology or problem solving / solving.
- Provide technical support to a facility operating 24/7.
- Replace the person in charge of maintenance in case of absence.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Required bachelor’s degree in chemistry, mechanics or electricity, engineering or a degree in physics or computer science or equivalent industrial experience in projects and support for the automation of operations.
- At least 4 years of experience in the management of complex projects in the food processing, biomedical, petrochemical and / or similar sectors focused on efficient and high quality production.
- Hands-on experience in setting up and troubleshooting large scale process equipment instrumentation and controls and associated PLC controls is preferred.
- Experience with food processing equipment is preferred. Extensive experience with brewing and / or packaging equipment is highly desirable.
- Strong communication skills, work ethic and a high level of professionalism.
- Strong experience with Allen Bradley and Siemens software / programming and hardware is required.
- Certificates, licenses, registrations: Lean Six Sigma Green Belt or higher is a plus.
- Travel conditions: occasional travel required between the 2 Victory breweries and the taprooms.
- Primary working hours will be daytime, but this role will need to respond to critical events outside of working hours by phone or in person. Job scheduling will occasionally require 2 and 3 shift work as dictated by production requirements and downtime scheduling.
- Perform duties in all areas of the brewery, occasionally working above grade, below grade and in confined spaces.
- Work outdoors occasionally, year round, in a variety of temperatures and weather conditions.
- Sitting, standing, walking, bending, twisting, kneeling, climbing, bending and squatting frequently. This position requires the ability to lift up to 55 pounds.
- Use the hands to perform fine manipulations, manipulate, touch and be able to reach with their hands and arms.
- Regularly exposed to humid and humid environments with hot liquids, airborne particles, chemicals and moving machinery.
- There will be high sound levels. Eye and foot protection is required at all times on the production floor.
This job description is only a summary of typical job duties, and not an exhaustive or complete list of all possible responsibilities, duties and functions.
Artisanal Brewing Ventures is an Equal Opportunity Employer